Mar 30, 2013

The first 3 weeks

Weight Watchers has been the best thing I've decided to do in a long time! I love it! I can eat what I want and decide what I think 'is worth it' or not. I can turn down a 3pt bag of chips, but a 3pt yeast roll right out of the oven is 100% worth it!

For those not familiar with the Weight Watchers plan, you are given a set amount of 'points' to abide by each day. Everything has a point value, Well.. some things are 0 points like fresh fruits and most veggies. You are also given a set of 'weekly points' you can dip into once you've run out of daily points.. Your cheat points! It's all super easy with their mobile apps they have. I'm able to search how many points various foods are, or use their calculator to figure it out. I also have a bar code scanner that can find most items. I can track my points and weight from my phone which makes it so easy.

So I am in my 4th week so far. My first week I lost 9.5lbs! Needless to say I was flabbergasted! Week two I lost 2.5lbs and last week I lost 4.

I attribute a lot of this to the fact that I've finally switched to diet soda. I have always been such a baby about diet soda and swore I was never going to do it.. it 'tasted nasty'. Well I don't know what has changed but it doesn't bother me any more! I have cut out so many calories and 'points' it's crazy! Coke Zero is 0 pts and is usually my go to.

I've also become super conscious of my portion sizes. I've realized over the last few weeks how much I over eat! Seriously! Go look at a portion size of chips! Usually it's something like 12 chips!! Who eats just 12 chips?! I tend to check point values of a lot of items and will usually go with which ever has a higher portion so I can get a bigger bang for my 'buck' so to say. I'd rather have 22 of my sweet potato tortilla chips for 4pts than 7 veggie crackers for only 3pts!

A lot has to be taken into consideration with the point values as well. They are determined by fat, carb, fiber, and protein. They don't take into effect sodium or calories. A lot of the prepackaged items are FILLED with sodium. Also I'm taking in a lot more aspartame with all the sugar free things I eat. I have always been very on the fence with aspartame.. You hear so many bad things about it, it's hard to know what is true or not. I try to use my judgment and common sense and eat what I know is healthier, whether it's not the lowest in point value or not.

Well, that's where I'm at now. Weigh in's are on Thursday so I will most likely post around then. For now I challenge all of you to start looking at your portion sizes on the nutritional labels! You'll be surprised how often we over eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment