Oct 20, 2011

Pork Barbacoa.. Sort of..

So while living in Utah I was surrounded by the phenomonon of 'Cafe Rio'. Now.. I never actually ate there... but heard many many good things. At a church function someone made their version of 'Pork Barbacoa'.. Which I later found out was a slow cooked pork with ... COCA-COLA. Now.. If you know anything about me, you know my addiction to Coke.. So I have been wanting to try this recipe for ages. I found a recipe online, but when I found out it had enchilata sauce I was kind of turned off. I'm am NOT a fan of mexican... My ex-husband was Puerto Rican so I learned to LOVE that style of hispanic food - which is more carribean than spanish really. So.. looking at this recipe I tried to figure out how I could adapt it to better suite my taste.. and here's what I came up with:

Pork Barbacoa - Asian Style

Pork Roast
1 can Coke (NOT diet)
1/4 c Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Soy Sauce
2 tsp garlic powser
2 tsp garlic salt
s&p

Rub the roast in salt and pepper. In a bowl mix the coke, sugar, and
seasonings. Place pork in large zip lock back and pour marinade in. Allow to sit
over night.

Next day put it all into a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours, or low
for 8 hours. Once pork is cooked pull apart using 2 fork. Then combine:

1 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
1 cup Coke
1/4 c Brown sugar

Pour into shredded pork and cook for additional 1-2 hours on low.


Now with this I also made a Cilantro Ranch Sauce. The Cafe Rio one has this whole Tomatillo cilantro sauce thing that I just didn't have the time for.. lol

Cilantro Ranch Sauce

1 cup Sour Cream
1 pkg Ranch dip mix
2 Tb minched cilantro
2Tb - 1/4c Milk

Mix all ingredients and gradually add milk until thinned down to your liking

No comments:

Post a Comment