Oct 17, 2010

French Onion Soup...

Oh.. Man.. Must blog about the best thing I've made in a LOOONG time. Made French Onion Soup yesterday. I've made it a few times before (last time was Valentines day a few years ago) and it just sounded like a good idea now that the weather is starting to get chilly. I must toot my own horn on this one.. I had two bowls of it last night and another for breakfast this morning.. yummy yummy yummy!! Just a note on the bread/cheese finishing part. I have no idea where my oven proof bowls have gone to so instead I sliced the bread, drizzled with olive oil and toasted in the oven. Then topped with the cheese and broiled until the cheese was melted. Then I just dropped it in the bowl of soup and it was just as good!

French Onion Soup
4 large onions, sliced
1/2 c butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 c red wine
3 Tbs flour
2 qts beef broth
french bread
Gruyere cheese

Saute onions and garlic in the butter on medium heat until they are caramelized (20-30 minutes). Deglaze with red wine. Add herbs. Allow to reduce on medium heat until wine is almost gone and onions are almost dry (10-15 minutes). Lower heat to med-low and add flour. Cook stirring constantly so flour does not burn for 5 minutes. Add beef broth and allow to simmer on medium heat for at least 20 minutes. When ready to serve ladle into oven proof bowl and top with toasted french bread slice and cheese and broil in the oven until golden bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment